Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

At 4:30 am this morning, I couldn't sleep. I'd like to blame it on my husband's snoring, but the reality is that I'm so overwhelmed by all that we have to do in the near future. And I was sitting there trying to fall back asleep and thinking about how much of a mess our house is: clothes everywhere, dirty dishes in the sink, mail that we need to sort; I wouldn't say that I'm super organized but at the same time I thrive on feeling like everything is in it's place. So at 4:30 I jumped up and decided to tackle all this. After all, it's hard to get anything done during the day on the weekend when Lilly is in the house.

I accomplished a lot, and Jon woke up at 6 to go to work. He surprised me with a beautiful pearl necklace and earrings, which is great because I lost my prior pearl necklace and one of the earrings. Lilly let me continue on my cleaning streak until 8 am, and then she and I spent Mother's Day morning together. Jon came back home around 9, and we spent the next hour together. He and Lilly ran out to the grocery store, and then he got called into work by 11 for an all day case.

By this time, I was dragging, but luckily Miss Lilly helped me fold the five loads of laundry. (She's great at folding washclothes!) We ate lunch, watched Hannah Montana (I'll admit for the record that I'm just as big a fan as Lilly), and then she and I took a nap together. By 3:45 we were on the go again, playing, watching and Elmo. At 4:30 we went to Target and bought Lilly the new Best of Elmo 2 DVD. An hour later we were in Whole Foods buying a chocolate cake.

The story behind the cake is that, during the morning I told Lilly it was Mother's Day. She immediately sang "Happy Birthday" to me (of course, when you're 3, Mother's Day would mean mommy's birthday, right?). So when Jon got called into work all day, and I didn't feel like cooking dinner, I told her we'd go get a cake since it was "Mommy's Birthday." She was thrilled and I picked our our favorite chocolate buttercream raspberry cake.

We picked up a chicken nugget Happy Meal from McDonalds on the way home, and a few minutes ago we sang Happy Birthday to Lilly and Mommy and each had a big piece of cake and glass of milk.

Our plans for the rest of the evening include a bath, a Hannah Montana episode, and the Amazing Race (Lilly watches with me every Sunday!), with bedtime around 9. And that, my friends, is the perfect mother's day. Of course I am a little exhausted...

Happy Mother's Day to my mom, mother in law, sisters, aunts, cousins, and friends! And thank you to my daughter for making my mother's day so special.

No comments: