Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pride, Accomplishments, Reading, and Healing

I've totally felt this way. The way Beverly feels when Landon does something new and amazing. In our house we use words like "accomplishment" and "proud" and "amazing" more than a lot. And I'm so impressed when Lilly knows that she's done a new and totally cool thing as well. That she knows to be proud of herself, when she does something new that it's a big deal and that mommy will clap and laugh and cry, just a little. I wonder if other parents feel the way I feel - over the moon excited and completely in love - over accomplishing an every day small task? Or do they take it for granted?
I don't know, but nothing gets taken for granted around here.

Lilly loves her aunt Jenny. We spent time with my sister Jenn and niece Cassidy in Savannah a couple weeks ago when we were doing our tour of the south for Lilly's February break. And each night before Cassidy goes to bed, Jenn reads her a story, and Lilly got to sit in on their routine. They sit in Jenn's bed, and Jenn (a fantastic teacher) reads them a story the way a teacher would - asking questions, pointing to things, etc.

I have to admit, in our lives we've been lazy about books. Lilly is constantly reading on her own, but she doesn't like us to read to her anymore - she already knows what she wants the story to be, and she reads the books to us in her way. She does it a lot - we definitely are interested in books - but she doesn't want to be "read to" anymore.

Except after we saw "Aunt Jenny." When we got back from Disney World, the first night I asked Lilly: "Do you want me to read you a book the way Aunt Jenny does"? And she said "Yes! Aunt Jimmy!" (Ok, so her pronunciation of Jenny is a little off. She also calls her uncle Brian "Byron." But each night before she goes to bed, we sit in her bed and read a book "just like Aunt Jimmy."

It's the first time in a long time when she lets me read an entire story to her. I ask questions, I point to things, we talk about the plot of each page. And she loves it. She's like a sponge soaking it all in. And after I read, she reads the story. And she is so proud of herself as she learns the story, anticipates different parts, tells me what happens. And when I ask her questions, she gets them right and is so proud.

For the past 3 nights Lilly's wanted to read the book "Pete the Cat" which was given to her by Jon's parents. And not only does she love me reading the story, but she's so good at remembering the story, and telling me which colors are which (which makes both of us so proud), and singing the song that goes along with it.

So we can thank "Aunt Jimmy" for introducing Lilly and I to a new and improved bedtime routine. (And each night Lilly literally asks to read the book like "Jimmy" because she loves this routine so much.)

A few days ago, I said to Lilly: "Look at my mouth." (and I pointed). "Jennnnnny." Lilly said "Jimmmy." We did it a few more times and Lilly then said "Jennnnny!" Wow was she excited and I was too and we were so proud of ourselves for Lilly saying it the right way and me helping her to say it the right way.

I'm no speech therapist, but I do work with Lilly on pronunciations quite a bit. Like, another word she's been trying to say is "Welcome!" (Because in Annie, Daddy Warbucks' staff welcomes her to the house and shout "Welcome!" at the end of "I think I'm going to like it here" song. Anyways, Lilly has a hard time saying it, and we practice so much on her saying "Welcome!" And when she focuses, she can totally say it perfectly. And we are both so proud.

In unrelated news, Lilly was really concerned for me yesterday. I had ashes on my forehead from Ash Wednesday. And, I wasn't feeling good (we've all had a cold this week. And did I mention this is Lilly's first cold of the entire winter? She's been such a healthy girl!). So Lilly associated the ashes with me being sick and came into my room and brought out her doctor's kit. She did a full check-up on me and pronounced me healthy.

The following pictures are not from last night but from a few weeks ago, when Lilly played doctor with us. Note the real stethescope - one of the perks of having a daddy as a doctor.











1 comment:

Becca said...

Ooh, a *real* stethoscope!! Cool!

I read your friend's post, and I, too, have often wondered about how other parents view their child's accomplishments. Not having another child to compare the experience with, I have to think that they take so much for granted. When I've had conversations with my friends who only have "typical" children, and mention all the intricacies involved in doing some of the most "mundane" things (ie. speaking, walking, etc.) they have always said, surprised, "Oh! I had no idea about all of those steps, we never really thought about it!" I think it gives us so much more reason to celebrate the small stuff, whenever our child reaches that goal. Nothing is too small or too mundane. Samantha feels real pride in her accomplishments, especially when we tell her how truly proud we are.