Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What's in a Name?

If you ask Lilly what her name is, she says "Lilly" or "Lilly Sherman." She's confident about that piece of information, just as knows she lives on the 18th floor in NYC and that she's 4 years old, and on her birthday next week she's turning 18. (We have to correct that last piece of knowledge at some point, I guess.)

Recently I heard someone say that they didn't believe in calling their child by anything other than their name, so not to confuse them. Well, every child is different, but I realized: Lilly has so many nicknames!

It would be hard to remember everything we call her, but here's a rough list:

Lilly
Lillian Grace
Lulu
Lilly Loo
Loopy
Monkey
Cracker head
Katunga (no idea why?)
Tunga
Lil
Mamma
Potato head
Baby
Sweetie girl
Ladybug
Cutie patootie
Missy Moo
Lupe
Monkey Joe
Chunga
Loo
Mary Poppins
Pop
Annie

I don't know where most of these names come from. But they do - each and every one of them - come from a place of love and affection. Every time a new name pops out, Lilly totally respondes to it like we've been calling her that for years - she recognizes the way we say it - affectionately calling her "name" - and knows we're talking to her.

2 comments:

Becca said...

That's silly, what you heard that person say. Samantha has a gazillion different things we call her, and she has never had any sort of identity confusion. Ever. Sheesh. I'd hate to know what that person's kids turn out like...

Suzanne said...

Hmmm, I had to think for a minute if you and I had this conversation, but I realize it was with Jenn. I was telling her that I specifically chose names that can't be nicknamed or shortened, because both Gregory and I hate how people assume they can shorten our names. Of course, I don't think the kids would be confused, I just prefer to call them by their given names.