Monday, October 11, 2010

Are we there yet?

We were in Charlottesville for 6 years, but it always felt somewhat temporary. Especially with that year of New Zealand thrown in the middle of it. And now we're living in New York City, adjusting again, and waiting for our next move at the end of June 2011.

And I'm kind of a 4 year old in the backseat of a long road trip, asking: "Are we there yet?"

I'm all about life experience, new adventures, but at this point I'm ready to settle down.

I would love a house. With neighbors that we get to know. And bikes that we can justify buying because we're not going to move far away in a few months. I'd love to buy a nice couch that we'll have in a living room for years to come, one that we'll actually care about if Lilly accidentally pees on it. I'd love to have pictures on the wall and knick knacks around the house, instead of a house that feels like a dorm or a hotel that we're just temporarily settled in. I'd love to get to know a neighborhood and not just for the temporary year; I'd love to be in a town where I can actually put the blueprint in my long term memory. I'd love for people to get to know and love Lilly, and watch her grow up, and not have every experience be new for Lilly.

A year and a half ago we were leaving New Zealand, and moving back to Charlottesville. 4 months ago we left Charlottesville and moved to New York. 5 weeks ago we left New York for a week in Atlanta, then a couple weeks in NYC, then a week in Florida, and now back to Atlanta - I'd love for Lilly to actually know where she lives, instead of thinking that hotels and new cities and airplanes are an everyday experience. I'd love to live near family and friends, and not have to spend $2,500 to fly the three of us home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Are we there yet?

No comments: