Friday, April 15, 2011

Lilly's Daddy, and other stories...

In case you're wondering, the IEP meeting went ok yesterday - not that it matters really since we're leaving NY so it won't be implemented here (and when we move to the DC area we'll still do some kind of IEP to get related services like speech but it won't be as important since she'll be in a private school). So, going into it, it wasn't as intense an experience as it could have been. Only one person in the room had ever met Lilly - and that was for less than an hour - so it was a little ironic that they were in theory deciding her educational future. It was nice though, that this psychologist's evaluation was much better than the evaluations we had last year, and they recognized all of Lilly's strengths in addition to her areas of opportunity (i.e., weaknesses - which the psychologist called "problem areas" which I personally think sucks as a phrase but I didn't feel like fighting that fight). Either way, while we were relatively happy with the evaluations and placement - and it didn't matter anyways - I still managed to get a killer migraine by the end of the night. I guess they're mandatory following an IEP meeting, no matter how well the meeting goes. Anyways. On to more important issues. Lilly's daddy. I've said this before, but Jon is such a good daddy to Lilly. I worried once I became a "stay at home mommy" that their relationship would suffer a little - because I would suddenly be around Lilly all the time and Jon's one on one time would decrease a little. In the old working days, weekends were often spent with just Lilly and daddy outings - broadway, the park, ice cream, etc. These days, I tend to tag along and have fun with them, which is nice for me. But for a couple months, Lilly had totally become a mommy's girl, and only wanted me a lot of the time. But the pendulum has shifted, and Lilly is once again a daddy's girl. It's helped that this week I've been working again, so I've needed Jon to help out a little more at night. Jon's did bath time and bedtime routine a few times and Lilly loved spending time with her daddy. Plus, daddy lets her stay up late watching movies (this week it's "Tangled"). But aside from Lilly and Jon's direct relationship, there is an interesting thing about Lilly's daddy: he is the most superstituious person. Which is odd, because he's a doctor, a man of science, not all that religious - but he is so superstituious. For example, sometimes Lilly will wake up around 1 in the morning, and we have to go in to her room and put her back to bed - it only takes a few minutes, but some weeks it happens a lot, some weeks not at all. And the other day I asked Jon: "has Lilly been waking up at night?" And he says "Shhhh don't ask that." Because, if he admits out loud that Lilly's been sleeping through the night, it will "jinx" her sleep. And Lilly has not had a real cold all winter. And it's another thing that Jon won't let me say out loud (and probably by writing this on a blog I am jinxing it, right?). Because if I say Lilly hasn't been sick, she'll automatically get sick, according to Jon. And thank goodness she hasn't been sick though. She has a little cough right now, but it's not related to a real cold. I am shocked actually that our girl has been in such good health. Her first 2 years she had so much cough-related asthma and junky colds - with nebulizers, steroids, antibiotics, etc. But her third year in NZ she only got sick a few times, and in Charlottesville last year she only needed the nebulizer once. This year, in NYC, she's only been to the doctor for pink eye and because her "leg hurt" once. (Which ended up being nothing?) She hasn't even missed a day of school this year, except for vacation. I think I'm going to stop on that note, because I'm probably jinxing it myself, so that's all for now...

No comments: